Wednesday, June 23, 2010

Task #7: Wiki Me?

Ah, the Wiki. Who'd a thunk it came from a Hawaiian word? Is there one in my future? I'm not discounting one. I looked at how Jennifer used one in her jr. high lit class; I looked at how Carl used it in his class. I've seen how Martin has used one in his class. There is something exciting about the way it is such a lively forum and so immediate: blog at warp speed. So part of my mind is thinking about how I could do what I do on my blogs on a wiki, which would make the students, I think, more responsible to each other and more active in their own learning. I'm also thinking how I could use a wiki in my ninth and possibly tenth grade classes to deal with writing itself: with paragraph and essay construction. I don't have an active board, though I do have the mini-Death Star, but making it work like an active board has been problematic. So the idea of getting students to do editing for themselves and others and have me be able to do editing on some piece of writing on a wiki has some potential in my mind. Now how I carry this out, the planning itself, is another story, one where I would have to reach out to my betters in Tech and others who have used a wiki. But I'm actually willing to and thinking about exploring this.

Tech: a tie.

2 comments:

  1. John, I'm glad you are enjoying some of the cool tools that technology has to offer. As far as usability in your classroom - we are happy to help you think through a wiki-related project should you decide to embark on one. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. John - remind me to show you our Activslates - it may still be a possibility for you.

    ReplyDelete