Wednesday, August 18, 2010

Final!

Wow.

This has been tough for me in a lot of ways. I remember when I was a kid in elementary school--and to be honest, high school as well--and there were things I just could not do. Math. Language. Nowadays one might say, "Oh, if you only had the right teacher!" It wouldn't have made a difference. My mind could not wrap itself around certain concepts and tasks. Luckily, I went to college in a time when I was able to skip math and language (and science), and concentrate on what I loved and could do--lit, history, the social sciences like political science and into psych. I hate the feeling of being unable to do something--the feeling of being incapable and helpless. Of being a failure. And to a great degree that's how I often feel when working with technology. The last part of the course, particularly the portion on delicious, made me feel like I was doing a task with my thumbs amputated and the directions written in Sanskrit. I was lost beyond lost. Thankfully, Anna Watkins helped me out, guided me through this section. And for me, for the kind of learner I am, that was essential. I really couldn't have done this part without her. I felt that need only a couple times this summer, and the times I did, there was Brandon, Tami, and Amy to walk me through the task, and, honestly, pushing the right buttons for me. I've done that with my students. I don't know if it's ethical or acceptable, but it's kind, and I appreciate it.

I was talking about this course with Jack Bross today. He struggled with it, too, but certainly not as much as I did; but also, he saw ways he could use this in class. And I'm thinking about that too, not just because the course expects me too, but because all this...stuff is out there for me as a teacher. Honestly, much of what I've touched on during this course I wouldn't use in my class. I'm old school: at the end of the day, it's still the book and the student. Not even much secondary material. Certainly not at the freshman and sophomore levels. But at the same time, as I write this, I realize that with something like Delicious could use more secondary material for a class like my War and Peace seminar: it would be a practical way to incorporate much of the secondary material I do use in that particular class. As I wrote on an earlier blog, I could see using a Wiki with my younger students as a way to work on writing, particularly with revision and editing. I am, as I wrote many times, much taken with the blog and the way it has allowed me to link to material, visual and written, that allows for lots of discussion and questioning. I really enjoyed putting together and learning to use my War and Peace blog this past year, with lots of encouragement and help from, as always, Brandon, Tami, and Amy. I will keep using the blog.

Not surprisingly, the early part of the course was the easiest for me: as it went on, with the Wiki and that !@#$%%^ Delicious, it got much harder. None of this is instinctual nor natural for me. I am, I discovered, like many of my students, a hands on learner with material I don't understand. The directions to Delicious didn't work for me. I missed point B, which then made doing C,D, F, and G impossible. And then there was the signing up for Yahoo, which wasn't in the directions. A suggestion? Update the course to reflect the changes that have occurred since it was first designed and implemented.

I still am a Luddite. But I am a much more open minded one for taking this course. And the best part of this was working with Tami, Brandon, Amy, and Anna. As Bruce Springtseen once wrote, "I need that human touch." I am not as frightened by the web and technology as I was. I am possibly one of the most advanced, technologically speaking, in my department. That's a scary thought. Who'd a ever thunk it?

2 comments:

  1. Congratulations, John!

    I appreciate your comments that the directions need updating. It has been a while since we set up the class and things have changed. As you may have noticed - with technology, everything is always changing! Thanks for sticking with it and muddling through it. We'd be happy to help you one-on-one with anything that seemed interesting but too daunting to tackle. You know where to find us. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Congrats on finishing Pi2.0! I enjoyed reading your blog. Sorry about your Delicious frustrations - they were recently bought out by Yahoo and they changed some of their settings. Apparently, the technology department can't even keep up with technology! Let us know if you need help incorporating any of the other tools. Glad to have you as a technology cheerleader in your department now =)

    ReplyDelete